Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My 85-year-old mother didn't write down her User Mane and

Customer Question

My 85-year-old mother didn't write down her User Mane and Pasword. I can't run updates without it. Help!
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you can do it remotely., make the user name MartyHill31 and the Password *****
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

What type of device is it, that your mother needs help with in regards ***** ***** username and password?

Is it a mac, a windows computer, an ipad, an iphone?

Also, what is the username and password *****? Is it for an email address? Is it to log into the windows computer, or log onto the mac or iphone?

Please be as detailed as you can, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
iMac, 20-inch, Early 2008, Running Mac OS 10,10.5. The problem is logging on to the system to modify software, in this case to upgrade system software.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Aha. so its her admin password ***** shes missing.

If you follow Procedure 3 on this page, using the recovery partition.. You can reset the password ***** the terminal / command line.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/os-x-yosemite-how-to-reset-your-administrator-password

Just follow through methodically and it will walk you through the process of resetting, and setting a new password.

if you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about the user name?
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

After you reset the password.. And you have a working password.

You can then set a new username using the system preferences, users and groups screen as shown in this link

http://www.dargadgetz.com/how-to-change-your-profile-username-in-os-x-yosemite/

Dustin S.