Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I have been working in Technology since 1997, and have a special affinity for Apple devices.
93256567

Oh I have a problem connecting my HP Envy printer to my

Customer Question

Oh hi Pearl! I have a problem connecting my HP Envy printer to my macbook pro. Is that something you can help me with?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Network Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Sure thing. I've had the HP Envy printer for about 5 years, and it's been able to connect to my macbook until last week, when our wifi went down and we had to get the cable guys to come and fix it. Since then, my printer hasn't been able to connect to any of my devices (i.e. macbook, iPhone)
JA: Networking issues can get really frustrating, but I know just the Network Technician to help you. Is there anything else the Network Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, let them know that I have already tried all of the basic troubleshooting suggestions: shutting off the printer and restarting, deleting and re-adding the printer to the wifi (which won't connect after 3-4 tries)...I tried resetting the factory settings on the printer..I tried a network test from the printer and also from my computer to no avail.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

From all the troubleshooting steps you have already taken, i dont want to inadvertenly go down a path you have already been down......but may have left it out of this description.

.

With that in mind....i think it would be best if we have a Remote session.....so i can connect and be on your network to run some inquiry tests.

.

Im thinking its a Network issue.

Possible that the printer was placed automatically on a different IP network, than your computer....for whatever reason.

.

This would be most likely....if you had the WiFi modem/device changed for a newer, or different....or even the same type...but just replaced.

.

This will remove all settings that had been present in the WiFi device about the network.....if you had some wierd setting that was needed (maybe unbeknownst to you) that needs to be set back up again.

.

If i am on your network...i can query all your devices from your machine.

Honestly this will be the best and most efficient way of fixing this.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the response! Hmm I understand what you're saying, but I'm not quite comfortable with having an online stranger enter our network. Nothing against you, I just like to play it safe. Is there anything I can do on my end to fix the problem without you having to go through our network?

Yeah, i can offer up solid suggestions, but i need to know more information about your network, so i can tell you WHAT EXACTLY to check, and where.

It would be PARAMOUNT that atleast a basic Network Map be provided to me.

I realize that it is ONLY the printer that you are needing to connect.....but since you did MANY troubleshooting steps already, I need to look and ponder over the network.

.

Honestly i think its just a matter of getting the printer an IP address, allowing it to communicate with your macbook pro (and all the other computers on the same network)

Normally, the printer will announce it self to the network (once you power it on, and connect it to the network with a cable, but wireless can be a bit more tricky and have MORE dependencies, than just using a network cable.

.

I see you mentioning that you are connecting the printer to the network over the WiFi, but printer will not connect after 3-4 times.

Are you saying....that when you try to connect the printer to the WiFi SSID with the password (or maybe your network is open, requiring no password, just the SSID) that the prinetr DOES connect, but only stays connected for a brief moment, then drops....and after repeating this process 3-4 times...the printer just wont join at all, not even for a brief moment?

or

are you saying that the printer simply will not join the WiFi network, and you basically give up trying after 3-4 try's?

.

The factory defaults for the printer are important, when you are trying to connect over WiFi, as some settings are already setup in the printer. Like the default IP address, and the timeouts for a DHCP server to answer to give the printer an IP address on the network.

It gets even more complicated if you are using VLAN's and multiple subnetworks....but that would lead me back to needing to know how your network is setup.

.

I understand your concerns about the security issue of me being on your network.....but I wouldn't be a very good technician, and would have been fired LONG AGO, if I was doing nefarious things to my customers networks, and their computers. This is my livelihood, how i pay my rent......I would not do such a trivial thing to a complete stranger, with little to nothing to gain, but a LOT to lose.

I have been working in IT since 2011, and have a college degree in Computer Networking. Ive done Many Remote sessions over the years, and have MANY customers vouch for my professionalism....if you would like a few previous customer referels, if that would set your mind at a bit more ease.

.

But there are SO MANY different possibilities that COULD be an issue.....that I could easily spot....if i was on the network able to make network queries.

It really would benefit not just YOU, but it would allow me to help MORE people, as I can get your issue resolved faster on a REMOTE SESSION, rather than a lengthy Q and A session with long periods of time where you would need to execute the queries and commands I would give you, and then report back the results.

Rinse and repeat....until the issue is resolved......could take hours....days even.

.

So wont you kindly reconsider having a REMOTE SESSION?

Hello, are you still in need of help?

.

when you try to connect the printer to the WiFi SSID with the password (or maybe your network is open, requiring no password, just the SSID) that the prinetr DOES connect, but only stays connected for a brief moment, then drops....and after repeating this process 3-4 times...the printer just wont join at all, not even for a brief moment?

or

Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 8 months ago.

Hello! If you're still in need of assistance, I am happy to help.

You mentioned that you had performed network tests on the printer and Macbook...I would need you to do something similar again. Specifically, we would need to look for three pieces of information on each device:

• IP Address (sometimes call IPv4 or IPv6)
  • Subnet Mask
  • Default Gateway

On your Macbook, you can open up Terminal and run IFCONFIG (just type it in and press ENTER). The information we're seeking will be contained in that command's output.

In the printer, you may need to print the network settings from the printer's menu in order to get to the information we need.

Since the problem began when your router was worked on, I suspect we'll find that your devices are using different IP schemes or connecting to different gateways; we would need to fix that in order for the two to "talk." First, though, we'd need to verify that is, in fact, the issue. Please give it a check when you can and let me know what you find!

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing back from you and helping you resolve this.