Breland
Breland, Sr. IT Administrator
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional
91054880

What driver do I need to mac mini to read my iomega screen

Customer Question

what driver do I need to for my mac mini to read my iomega screen play mx
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 6 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent technology expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. It is my pleasure to assist you today.You shouldn't require a special driver for this device in order to use it with your Mac Mini. The data partition on the ScreenPlay MX is formatted with an NTFS file system and will appear as a read-only volume under Mac OS X unless special software (to enable writing to NTFS) is installed on the Mac. If you need to transfer files to the ScreenPlay MX by USB connection on a Mac, reformat the data partition to Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended Journaled (see instructions below). CAUTION!Do NOT change the partitioning on the ScreenPlay MX as this will remove the firmware that enables the ScreenPlay MX to communicate with your TV set. Only media files stored on the active data partition can be viewed or played on a TV.Formatting the data partition will erase all existing data! If you have files on the ScreenPlay MX you want to save, move them to another drive or volume before reformatting.Formatting Instructions — Mac OS X, Version 10.5-10.6:Connect the ScreenPlay MX to your Mac and power it on.The data volume will mount on the Desktop. Copy any files you want to keep to another location.Launch Disk Utility by selecting Applications → Utilities → Disk UtilityIn the left hand column, you will see a top level hard drive icon and multiple partitions. Three of the partitions will be unmodifiable and grayed out in the interface. The large NTFS data partition will be active.Click on the large NTFS partition to select it.Click on the Erase tab.Select Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Volume Format drop-down menu.Click on the Erase button.When Disk Utility is finished erasing the disk, click on the data partition and ensure that the Format field at the bottom of the Disk Utility window says that the volume is Mac OS Extended.You can now quit Disk Utility and copy files to the ScreenPlay MX.I hope that helps! If you run into any trouble or have further questions, please let me know by posting back here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure if I asked the right question. I was given this Screen Play Mx which has a number of movies on it to watch .
When I plug it in and power it up it doesn,t show anywhere. No data mounting etc,just blank.
Ultimately I would like to copy some movies and replay them using this machine connected to a mac laptop on my boat.
Perhaps this is or isn,t the proper machine.
Please advise.....
Hmmm...just to confirm, have you switched on the device using the rear push-button power/reset button? Assuming the device is getting power, it should mount on your Mac Mini with no additional software required (read-only by default, which should accomplish what you are looking to do). One common confusion is that the "power" button on the device's remote is insufficient for powering the device on when connected to a computer.Can you tell me whether the device powers on and is playable while connected to a televsion?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still nothing.Tv has not got the plugins for this.
The expense is getting out of hand .
Not user friendly. This seems to be a bust .
I'm afraid that I am out of suggestions -- the device is a fairly simple media storage box, and should not require special drivers or software to mount on your Mac Mini. I will, however, open this question up for other experts to chime in -- perhaps one is more familiar with any special considerations when mounting this box to your Mac, and can better assist.Thanks for your patience...we'll have someone back with you soon.
Expert:  Breland replied 6 months ago.