Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My p key isn't working on my mac lap0 \ JA: Just to clarify,

Customer Question

My p key isn't working on my mac lap0
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: book.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Macbook pro mid 2012. latest OS.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: The key quit working without anything really happening. Now when I hit p It doesn't type the letter p. The ones I'm using are pasted. :) Instead it'll affect my volume setting or type weird characters.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
1. Shut down the computer. 2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. 3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time, if it starts up you held the power button before the other keys, try again. 4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. 5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice. 8. Release the keys. Then open System Preferences / Accessibility / Keyboard make sure both boxes are unchecked then select Mouse & Keyboard and make sure Enable Mouse Keys is unchecked