Robert
Robert, consultant
Experience:  many years in the computer consulting industry
23372949

Itunes asked me to reformat my Ipod classic. now it's

Customer Question

itunes asked me to reformat my Ipod classic. now it's reformatted but has lost all its music and will not reload my music.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Let me plug it in again to give exact sense of whats going on.
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Itunes keeps returning me to a Welcome to your new Ipod screen where I repeat the same formatting only to end up back at the exact same screen again.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
Hi there! My name is Alison. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. we'll need to set it up as though it were a brand new ipod, using the same Apple id and Password ***** you previously had. If we do this then all of your iTunes purchases should be available for yu to download again. If you'd like, I can give you a call and walk you through this. If you'd rather not do that, we can continue to talk here, but please keep in mind that it takes time to type out my answers, so please don't be annoyed if my responses aren't instantaneous. I will need to ask a few questions and depending on your answers, I will walk you through the necessary steps to troubleshoot and fix your problem. May I ask if you know your Apple id and password?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe this is my Apple ID info: Roboguppy23 password: robogo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Talking on phone would be fine if that works for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alison whats up, please let me know if you are still there, thanks.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
I apologize Robert. I was finishing up with another client. You have my full attention now. Let's test to be sure that your apple id and password ***** correct. Please go to https://appleid.apple.com/ - Manage your apple id, to ensure that you can sign in.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
I have offered the phone call as PREMIUM SERVICE. If you'd like, you can accept and your phone # ***** then be displayed for me. We can also talk here. It is completely optional.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not going for the phone offer and will check with apple right now.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
That's perfectly ok. Were you able to sign in to the Apple site with your apple id and password? If not, here's how you can find yor Apple id and reset your password. {C}1. Let’s begin by going to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid#!&section=appleid2. When the webpage opens enter the email address that you use to login to your ipad with. If you know your id, after entering it, proceed to STEP 3. If you do not know your id click on "FORGOT APPLE ID" then click next and enter your first name, last name, and email address. Your user id will be emailed to that address.3. Now, choose to either have instructions sent to you via email, or choose "answer security questions" whichever you prefer. This should allow you to regain access to your account. Once you have your id, you can go to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid#!&section=password ***** reset your password. You must have this information before we can set up you ipod and retrieve your music.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have signed in and my ID is:***@******.*** and my password *****; Roboguppy23
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alison I'm not getting this. I have put a response up above as I can see but I'm not able seemingly to see where your response is coming up? What am I missing here?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm signed into the Apple site and am on the manage your account page...what now? I feel like my original Ipod issue has been left in the background somewhere as well as where ever I'm supposed to see your answers?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
Not at all I am just making sure that before we begin, you have the information that we will need to set your ipod up correctly. Now that we have verified that, I will provide complete instructions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I plugged in my 160gb Ipod and it did not sync to Itunes. I'm on an older mac so I'm using Itunes version 12.1.2.27 I was asked to update and requested using this version. Itunes updated my Ipod, deleted all my music and now has me in this loop where I keep reformatting and ending up at a Welcome to your new Ipod page but it never syncs/add my playlists and music.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess above is my version of Itunes my Ipod is apparently 2.0.4. I have two options Check for Update or restore. As I'm concerned about updating and not being able to use my version of itunes which has been working I restore and keep ending up in the exact same spot hence the loop effect I mentioned.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry. you didn't mention earlier that you had gotten as far as trying to sync it with iTunes. I was just about to walk you through making sure that you had the latest version of iTunes. Can you clarify for me what you mean by "requested using this version?". We should use the most recent version that your Mac is capabable of supportingOpen iTunes.If the menu bar isn't showing, hold down the Control and B keys to show it. Learn more about the iTunes for Windows menu bar.From the menu bar, choose Help > Check for Updates.Follow the prompts to install the latest version.If the version that you have IS the latest version, you will be notified that there are no updates available. If there IS an update available please go ahead and install it, then let's try the restore process again. IF we still wind up in the same place we'll try restore.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am on an older MacPro, 2.66Ghz, Quad-Core, Intel Xeon running 10.9.5 if I update to the most recent of Itunes etc. will my computer be able to handle it?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
If it is capable of running 10.9.5, then you should be fine, and that may very likely solve the issue that you are having.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was just informed that 2.0.4 is the latest version for the Ipod. I am currently at the first page for updating and resoring my Ipod, am continuing now.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Am now restoring Ipod.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
OK. Please keep me posted. I do think its best if you update iTunes on your computer first, but I will stick with you while you try it this way.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks I've just restored my Ipod and am about to continue
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
Great. Let me know if everything is working properly...if you can see all of your music and sync it to ipod.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Am at The Wecome to your New Ipod page for about the tenth time.Have just set Options and my only options are check for update and restore Ipod which is as far as I ever get.You say I should update to latest version of Itunes. You are sure I can handle it and whatever happens I won't somehow lose 10,000 songs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have a Smartphone I'm snyching with and as such it seems to me that most of the new updates are for synching with phone, streaming and the like. I just want my trusty Ipod with no extra, un-needed bells and whistles.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope. Just restored again and am on Welcome to your new Ipod page which is the beggining of this endless loop?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
If your computer is capable of running MAX OSX 10.9.5 which you say that you have, AND if you have enough available free space, there should be no issues. However, you should give serious consideration to backing up your iTunes library if you have that many songs. Any purchases that you have made from the Apple store will always be available for you to re-download if iTunes should crash, but those that you have manually imported will be lost in the event of a crash. I really think at this point that updating iTunes on your MAC is your only option.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm backed up on Carbonite. So how do I update Itunes?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
On your computer, please do the following:Open iTunes.If the menu bar isn't showing, hold down the Control and B keys to show it. From the menu bar, choose Help > Check for Updates.Follow the prompts to install the latest version.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm doing that now. Will let you know what happens.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The update seemed to go fine and I now have the latest version of Itunes on my Mac. Going to reconnect my Ipod.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No alas I'm right back where I started just with the newest version of Itunes running. I'm in the same endless restore my Ipod loop I was before. Is there any manual way I could perhaps reboot my Ipod itself, perhaps thats where the issue is?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
I knew there was a small possibility that you might still be stuck in that dreadful loop. We'll need to use diagnostic node to repair it. Please begin by logging out of and closing iTunes (and any other program communicating with the iPod, like the ipod updater utility) . For good measure reboot your MAC. Next, do the following:_plug iPod to the computer (don't start itunes first)_wait for the next restart_when the apple logo appears hold the menu and back buttons together until the iPod restarts in diagnostic mode._in the iPod diagnostics menu, scroll down to diskmode and select it._your iPod should restart, but this time it will display the 'do not disconnect screen'_wait for the iPod to appear as a disk drive on your computer_choose restore and follow the instructions You can try resetting it manually (hold select and menu for a few seconds) but it is unlikely to resolve the problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Once I reboot how will I get back to our session?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
I'm terribly sorry for the delayed response. I was answering a followup question from another client. You can book mark this page, or you can simply go to your email and click on the link in the most recent response from JustAnswer. You should receive an email eac tiem we correspond here in the chat box.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've rebooted the Mac have the Ipod icon showing. I tried to find the diagnostic mode but mistakenly closed Ipod icon so had to go through whole reboot again, figured I'd contact you this time so as not to repeat this step, thankyou for your patience.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
You're very welcome. Just plug the ipod into the computer (with iTunes closed) and wait for it to restart. When it does, and you see the apple logo, press the menu and the back button at the same time and hold them down until it restarts again. It will then be in diagnostic mode. Scroll down until you see Diskmode and select it. The ipod will restart again and you will see a "do not disconnect" message. Wait for the iPod to appear as a disk drive on your computer, then choose restore and follow the instructions. If anything doesn't work the way it should please let me know at exactly what point things are going wrong so I can best help you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry Alison but no diagnostic window/mode is appearing. This does not seem to be working, I have to leave and will be ending this session.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
I understand. I'm sorry that I couldn't help. I will opt out and see if another expert might be better able to help you. You won't have to repeat anything. The new expert will see our entire conversation. You will be notified via email when it is picked up by another expert. Have a great weekend!
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
it sounds kind of like the ipod is reformatted and ready.You just miss the part where you have to transfer the music from the computer to the ipod try the instructions on this pagehttps://www.imobie.com/support/transfer-music-from-computer-to-ipod.htm