Mac_Martin
Mac_Martin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming.
74139101

I shot an important interview yesterday on my Sony Fs5 like

Customer Question

Hi I shot an important interview yesterday on my Sony Fs5 like I've done many times before. However when I try to import the images FCPX does not see them, I have no idea what to do. If you play them back on the camera everything is there and looks great but I can't get them imported to FCP. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac_Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello Andy and welcome.Are you on Windows or Mac?Is your camera set to PC connect mode / USB data mode, where the data is readable by the computer?Are you able to open the camera from the Desktop and view the files independently of FCPX?Please reply using the box below.Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I work on a Mac. I have FCPX that I edit with. Normally I just take the memory card insert it into a card reader and FCPX immediately sees the file and I say import and it works great. This time, although I can see all of the clips on my camera and on my monitor and they look and sound great, FCPX does not see them . They were recorded on my Sony Fs5 as AVCHD files. I also created a camera archive but FCPX doesn't see them there either. I'm starting to panic
When you Command-I to import from FCPX and select an import source, are you able to browse for files already on your computer or do those not show up either?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, files are there- I just did that and imported a file fine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi are you still there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello?
Does your Mac see the memory card, outside of FCPX just fine and can you copy one photo from the memory card, onto the computer now, then browse for it through FCPX to see if you can import it?That would help isolate the problem
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It sees the memory card- called "Untitled" but it doesn't see any of the files on the card- again, when I put the card back into the camera everything is there and it plays back fine
Ok, so it's the computer that's not seeing the data on the card.Have you tried rebooting and plugging it in again?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've tried that
Have you tried this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbc0l-t3f1Q
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No but like I said it sees the card just not the files. If I burrow down into the various folders on the card I found MTS files- I'm assuming those are the video files= do I need to convert them somehow?
Unless you changed a setting on the camera it should load them up normally.Are they all MTS files?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I shot them as AVCHD files but when I burrow down into the card it says MTS files. One thing I did do before I started shooting: I tried to use a different card in the camera because I needed and it said it needed to repair the image data base which I did and then didn't use that card but could it have changed settings in the camera?
Give me a minute, looking into it for you
Hmm, look at this:http://www.r-studio.com/Video_Recovery.shtml
Supposedly this app does the recovery for you:http://www.mtsconverterfree.com/softwarereview/shareware/mts-video-recovery.html
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can try that but I think Ive figured out a way to do it myself. If I select the "Untitled" card, navigate to AVCHD, right click, say Open With Quicktime- it shows all of the clips so then I can choose a clip and hit export and it exports it to my desktop as a .mov file and I can just drag it into FCPX or import it. I think I'm good to go now thank you
you can also right click and extract the contents.Glad you found a way to get into your files :)If you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you could take a moment to click on one of the green stars at the top to rate me for my time, it would be greatly appreciated!Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Martin- not to appear ungrateful but since I figured out the problem myself do I still owe the $30? Just asking....
The rating has nothing to do with your payment, it is to rate me for my personal service and time so it gets recognized on the website.I cannot view your billing info, to speak about that you'd have to talk to billing directly:ww2.justanswer.com/contact-usMartin