Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

My Macbook is not picking up a projector connected to it. No

Customer Question

Hello. My Macbook is not picking up a projector connected to it. No arrangement tab in display tab
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the MacBook inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Since upgrading to El capitan there is no arrangement tab in display
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you press Command + F1 on the keyboard, and tell me if this at leasts gets an image to the projector?Let me know please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No image. Just the blue screen
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** please do the followingShut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Release the keys.Then tell me if you can get the arrangement tab to appear.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What does the option key look like?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got it. Will try
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Done that. Still no arrangement tab
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Can you connect the projector to a different port and tell me if it now comes up please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still nothing
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
ok, please do the following please If your batter is non removableShut down the Mac.Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your MacIf the battery is removableShut down the Mac.Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the Mac.Remove the battery. (Learn about removing the battery in MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.)Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.Press the power button to turn on the Mac.Then connect the projector and tell me if it is detected please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still not detected
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
what cable is being used to connect the projector to the mac?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
USB
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Does the projector have a HDMI connection port? Or another port to be used with the Mac Book?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I have used this projector before but since changing to El Capitan I cannot see the projector
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Whats the make and model of the projector and I will check.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Philips MSC050938000201
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
That looks to be the serial number, I need the Model number please
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't find the model number
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
It will be on a label on the projector, else tell me all ports on the projector as they will have mode then USB
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Audio out, USB, Data audio in, Video audio in, Video, S-Video, Data out, Data in (last 2 are VGA ports)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cannot find a model number anywhere
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
ok, your left with using an adapter then.El Capitan does have a lot of compatibility issues with external devices and we have gone through all the options to rule this out.This leaves it as the connection medium and USB is very temperamental.You will need to use this adapterhttp://www.apple.com/shop/product/MB572Z/B/mini-displayport-to-vga-adapterThen connect from the VGA port on the projector to the adapter, then the adapter into the Macbook which will then allow it work work