Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Updating my Mac and it is staying in "Setting Up Your

Customer Question

Updating my Mac and it is staying in "Setting Up Your Mac..." For over an hour with the wheel spinning
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Hold the Power button for 10 seconds then start it up again it should continue, let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It came up but I have a problem with getting open programs to quit. The computer temperature went up to 174 degrees so I shut it down to cool it.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
What year MacBook is this? Also please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: • The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??) • Processor • Memory
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Depending on whether it has an easily removable battery do one of these procedures then let me know:Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own 1. Shut down the computer. 2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. 3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time, if it starts up you held the power button before the other keys, try again. 4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. 5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice. 8. Release the keys. Note: The LED on the power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.Resetting the SMC and PRAM memory on Mac portables with a battery you can remove 1. Shut down the computer. 2. Disconnect the power adapter from the computer, if it's connected. 3. Remove the battery. 4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. 5. Release the power button. 6. Reconnect the battery and power adapter. 7. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 9. 8. Turn on the computer. 9. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 10. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice. 11. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
MacPro 15in Mid 2010
Processor 2.66 GHz intel core i7
Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3I followed the instructions, it is 2 programs that popped up Yahoo Mail and Control Center that still will not close.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
OK did you see my offer to remote connect?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
I still need the system version please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For $38?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
is that too much to fix your computer? It is a lot easier and quicker but we can continue in chat you will have to follow my instructions and answer some more questions then...
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
I need the system version. Also do these programs just open when you start up? There is no "Yahoo Mail" application is that a web browser? Are you there?