Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iMac boots to a black screen after coming back from holiday

Customer Question

JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the iMac inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a dual boot iMac running windows10 and Yosemite. Came back from a 10 day holiday and it boots to a blank screen. I hear the chime and running motor etc but nothing else and no cursor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: That's essentially the problem. It's a 27" iMac
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
1. Shut down the computer. 2. Unplug the computer's power cord. 3. Wait fifteen seconds. 4. Attach the computer's power cord. 5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice. 8. Release the keys and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing seems to happen when I try this
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
You mean the screen never even comes on? What happens exactly?