Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I am locked out of my mini iPad. Apparently I entered the password

Customer Question

I am locked out of my mini iPad. Apparently I entered the password ***** and now cannot get into my new mini iPad. Do I have to go into the store to get it reset, or can I do that from home?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. If you are locked out and the iPad is disabled, then tour only option is erase the iPad from iCloud or force-restore the iPad to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode screen and get it restored) But if you had backed up your iPad to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPad from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account. Following are the two methods to fix it Method 1 : Erase from iCloud If you have iCloud enabled on it and also if your iPad is connected to WiFi/internet, then you can do the erase (restore) from iCloud - so you don't have to go through the restore steps.On your computer, goto www.icloud.comLogin to your iCloud/Apple account.Click Find iPhone. Select your iPad under All Devices. Click Erase button and it will be erased (if it is connected to WiFi network). This will erase and restore your iPad . After that, setup your iPad .If this doesn't work, then please do the Method 2 following below; Method 2 : Fix it using iTunes on your computer by putting the phone to recovery/DFU mode Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.Open iTunes application on your computer.On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.After EXACTLY 8seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.Click OK or Restore Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFUMode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while torestore it. Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, youwill see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining) Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem