John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Help i my i phone inthe last 20 hours is lost. I have the

Customer Question

help i my i phone inthe last 20 hours is lost. I have the find your phone apt but not working
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Apple does have the "Find My iPhone/iPod/iPad” feature available for iCloud users as you mentioned BUT the key fact is that you must have registered the device for this service at some point prior to losing it. However, if you've ever registered the device with iCloud, it's likely this was enabled for you. You can sign in to the following site to see if the device is registered. Note: You would sign in with the Apple ID used for iCloud or to make Store purchases. If your device is registered there and it has not been removed from the network or turned off, you can send it messages, track it's location and remotely erase your personal data off the drive. If you are running iOS 6 or later you will also have access to Lost mode. While in Lost mode, your device will keep track of where it’s been and report back to you any time you check in with the Find My iPhone app. For additional security, if your device was running iOS 7 or later and is erased, the user must sign in with the Apple ID that was used to erase it before it can be activated again. Your next step is to suspend data service so that others can not use the phone. If you believe the device was stolen, the person who has it now can erase the device on a computer and you would no longer be able to track it so you may wish to try and get in contact with the Police Dept. File a Police Report for the device. Call the non-emergency number of the police department with jurisdiction over the area in which the theft occurred. They will direct you to another law enforcement agency, if necessary. The police will ask you questions about the theft, in order to file a police report for your device. Give as many important details about the device to the police as you can, including the serial number, which may help them them apprehend any person responsible and recover your lost/stolen device. Also, report your missing device to an online site like Sites like this are used by pawn shops and others to track lost/stolen property that comes into their business. If you have further questions on any detail, please let me know. Thanks,John