Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified

Pearl! i've been gifted a cinema display. my new macbook

Customer Question

hi pearl! i've been gifted a cinema display. my new macbook pro detects the cinema display, and the white power light is on, however the screen is blacck - is it a dud?! thanks so much, emma
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the MacBook inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i have plugged both the thunderbolt cable (via adaptor) and the usb in to my macbook pro, and when i select "gather windows" under preferences the cinema display box pops up, but still no life on the display screen ... only the white power light seems to be working! i believe it is a very early version of the cinema display and i am running el capitan ...
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: think that's it! :)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi there
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
If the power light is lit solid and not blinking then this suggests that the Cinema Display is running ok.Try adjusting your resolution to a lower setting in case it is set too high to work with the Cinema Display.If that doesn't work, try connecting a diferent Mac to it and let me know if that works ok?Pete.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Pete. I have done some troubleshooting already -- including trying it on 2x other macs and reducing the resolution.
No joy!
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Ok, then it seems the Cinema Display has a fault which will require repairing - do you have any electronic test equipment available?If not, you could take it to a local Apple Store if you have one nearby, or even a local electronics repair shop may be able to carry out the electronic diagnostic tests for you.