Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My iMac is beachballing. Having to shut down several times

Customer Question

My iMac is beachballing. Having to shut down several times a day.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can't find a pattern that causes it to freeze. I get the beachball and have to do a hard shutdown.
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. I have a fairly basic set-up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. There are two main reasons for this problem. Either the system files are corrupted or your hard drive is failing. So first I'd recommend to copy all your important files to an external USB thumb drive or hard drive. Then run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission. If you are using latest Mac OS X El Capitan, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked. Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. This will boot into safe mode. Test your Mac in safe mode for a few hours and see if it freezes. Safe mode is limited in functions and some features won't work in safe mode. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.
Sorry there is an issue with your payment so I couldn't accept the remote support request. You may need to contact your credit card company or bank to approve payment to JustAnswer. So meantime please do the steps I sent you and let me know the results please.