David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

When I turn pn computer, the status bar gets about half then

Customer Question

When I turn pn computer, the status bar gets about half then shuts off.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to help answer your question.First of all please disconnect any devices that are connected to your Mac.Now when you power on use Safe Boot.To use Safe Boot power on and then hold the Shift key.Keep holding the Shift key until you see the Apple logo, when you see it release the Shift key.This takes longer than normal to startup, because it is also repairing things in the background.Please get back to me with any details if this fails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did start the computer in safe mode and the results were the status bar now goes about 3/4 and shuts off.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
If you have disconnected all devices, and tried Safe Mode startup and it freezes, next thing to do is reset the NVRAM and try Safe Mode again.Click here for the steps to reset NVRAM. Here they are in short: Shut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Release the keys.When you have reset properly you will hear the startup chime two times while you hold the keys. If it didn't work power off and try again until you do.When you have reset NVRAM properly, try Safe Mode again. Let me know how it goes and we can try the next steps if this fails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This appears to be working, what is the next step, tx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer opens a repair screen, i closed it and i am now to to reboot in safe mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then computer will not start, it does the same, 3/4 start up and shuts down, tx
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then the next thing is to reinstall the Mac OS X system.This reinstalls Mac OS X only, so it leaves your account and files where they are.To see the full details of the steps to reinstall use this link Recovery Mode.To start in Recovery Mode hold down Command + R keys after you power on.Reinstalling takes a while, and all depends on the speed of your Internet connection, but roughly an hour to 2 hours.If there are any problems please let me know the details.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting OSX to down load. Tx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The os program is downing loading to my computer but the time keeps changing from 1 minute from completing back to 20 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to reinstall os was unsuccesful. Can you provide further guidance. Tx
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Sorry, I was unable to answer any sooner I apologise. This is really odd, because it seems like booting from the recovery partition disk, combined with the downloaded version of the update, are unable to repair the OS installed on the main partition of the disk.If you could try another connection I would advise it, before trying to tweak things more than you really need to, such as erasing the disk or delving under the hood with the command line to try to repair the partitioning.If you can't try the same procedure using a different Internet connection let me know and I will try to think of some other solution.Thank you,David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Has trying it agasin on a different network made any kind of difference?Thanks in advance for letting me know.Regards,David.