John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

My old MacBook has the no-entry sign when it boots up. JA:

Customer Question

My old MacBook has the no-entry sign when it boots up.
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the MacBook inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It was running really slowly online last night and then the next time I tried to reboot it I got the no entry sign.
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After reading online that I should hold command+option(alt)+R for a while the no-entry sign did go away. Now I just have a gray screen. What do I do now?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also have a PowerBook G4 that is running very slowly and can hardly open any pages on the internet. Any ways to speed it up or clean it up?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 5 months ago.
Hi! Did this MacBook originally ship with OS X 10.6 or earlier? If so, Insert the OS X install CD. Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the "C" key to boot from the disc. You can release the "C" when you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. Choose your language and click to continue. When you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen (DO NOT INSTALL), go up to "Utilities" in the menubar and choose Disk Utility. In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's hard drive (usually "Macintosh HD"). On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk" If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display. Then, restart your Mac. John