Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Some random virus warning popped up and now I can not use safari

Customer Question

Some random virus warning popped up and now I can not use safari or eject my hard drive. I don't know if it's a scam or not. The message says to call safe apps
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It says there is a virus and error code rnn7892 and to call(###) ###-####
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: I have already restarted the computer, and have not lost any data
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I read to hold shift and open safari and it should go away. But that didn't work
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Hold the power button for 10 seconds to shut down then start it up and hold Shift when opening Safari or open Chrome or Firefox and try to go here and it will automatically download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, open it and select Scan:http://tiny.cc/fixmalwareIt will scan for malware and then give you the option to remove it. Then restart and run it again until you get no malware detected. Let me know.