Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My MacBookPro is locked up. I was trying to change the password

Customer Question

My MacBookPro is locked up. I was trying to change the password ***** a hint box came up. I typed my password ***** it won't open. The same password ***** I put in. But there was something different in the hint box. Now I can't get into the computer at all. Because it requires a password ***** open the computer. My Desktop mac doesn't require one. But after a OS update, it was installed that way by Mac, I guess. I'm asking this question through the desktop.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
1. Shut down the computer. 2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. 3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time, if it starts up you held the power button before the other keys, try again. 4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. 5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice. 8. Release the key and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button. When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu. Enter resetpassword ***** the prompt and press RETURN. Follow instructions in the dialog window that will appear.http://pondini.org/OSX/Password_files/3%20reset%20password%20window.jpg