Robert
Robert, consultant
Experience:  many years in the computer consulting industry
23372949

I own a MAC MINI. i'm periodically getting message that my

Customer Question

i own a MAC MINI. i'm periodically getting message that my computer might be infected! Should I bring it in to Genius Bar to verify?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Terry White II replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you for asking your question! My name is ***** ***** I'm a Technical Support Specialist of 15+ years experience as a cross-platform (Mac/PC) Specialist. Glad to assist you with your question today. Is that message you are receiving coming through your Safari, Chrome or Firefox web browser if I may ask?Also does that message pop up anytime you open that web browser, or just when you visit specific pages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Message only shows up after I visit specific pages!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normally after I visit an adult website!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Through my Safari!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is support still assisting me?
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 1 year ago.
I think the other expert is offline at present, I can try to help you out, please let me know if you want to continue with me.
I cannot accept your remote support offer as it seems there is some payment problem, please contact customer support to sort that out.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
"MIGHT" be infected is an advertisement for anti virus software. You can safely ignore it. The only problem that they found is that you didnt pay them for their services You can safely ignore it. Mac's are not all that susceptible to virus in the first place and if you did want anti virus software you should pick one that does not have to advertise that way.
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-5pjwqz43- replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a certified Apple technician. Typically OS X is not susceptible to viruses, but malware can be an issue at times, especially if you have visited adult web sites. Are you able to send me a screen shot of the issue in question? If you do not know how to take a screen shot, please refer to this link: https://support.apple.com/en-lk/HT201361
I tried accepting your remote session but the system said that your payment did not go through. Please contact customer service to resolve that issue!
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
the key word here is "MIGHT"that is an advertisement for somebody trying to sell you their anti virus software.the only test they have run is that you don't have their software now. In their minds that means you "might" be at risk. The macs are not particularly susceptible to virus in the first place and if you do want protection i would suggest buying one that does not need to use this type of misleading and intrusive advertising.