Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

When I open Dashboard on my Mac, the screen changes to Safari

Customer Question

When I open Dashboard on my Mac, the screen changes to Safari showing an address of "". How can I get rid of it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Hi there and welcomethis is an application or extension you have installed on the Mac.First, in Safari, click on safari, then preferences.Check under extensions and remove any extensions listed with sitelanternOr any extensions you did not install yourself.Then click Safari, Reset Safari.Then tell me if it is now operating correctly please.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There was no other extensions apart from Norton
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
ok, can you complete the rest of the instructions I gave please and let me know the results I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you. Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse. I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps. Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong. If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me. Thanks, Richard
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I completed all your instructions but the same problem still exists.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Thanks,While Finder is the active app, hold down the Option key and open the Go menu - select Library from the list.In the window that opens, locate and open the Preferences folder.In the Preferences folder, locate the file named this fileThen restart the Mac and try Dashboard again.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did all that but the problem still exists. My time has run out so I will just keep Dashboard off my desktop. Thank you for your efforts.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
ok, but the only other cause for this Mike is you have an App installed that keeps adding it.Open Finder, go to your applications and look for an application provided by site lantern (this is the company that refers to)Then send the application to the trash, repeat the instructions we just did to clear the dashboard and it should then be gone.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No such application; sorry must go.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
ok, there will be an application causing this, so when you return (or I can do this for you) let me know what applications (not installed with the mac) are listed please.I have marked this question to never close so let me know when you wish to resume and if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you