Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

Word will not open

Customer Question

Word will not open
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you tell me please which version of word you are using?which version of windows or mac.And exactly what happens when you try to open Word please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I try to open Word it appears to open but the dot keeps spinning and will not open the file no matter how long I leave it up. A note comes up that word will not open -1714 under those words. I do NOT use the new version10. I am trying to enter a writing contest that must receive my document now and Word will not open. Urgent.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not want to pay more.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
No need to pay anymore, I did not request that, it is an offer thats possible if you decide to take advantage of it.But I do need you please to respond to the two other questions I asked, I have repeated them again belowCan you tell me please which version of word you are using?which version of windows or mac.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is the problem here. Why are you not responding Richard. I have the latest word up to the one offered currently 10 I believe. I cannot tell you anything more than that.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I check the information you want without losing my contact with you?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
I am responding, and very quickly to you. I am still waiting on an answer to all my questions.you say the latest version of word, so you mean Word 2016, this is what you have on windows 10?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please this is urgent!!! I don't have windows 10 which is what I have been repeatedly telling you. I have the one before that.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
You just said, "I have the latest word up to the one offered currently 10 I believe"So you have windows 8, ok, then tell me which version of word you are using.I understand this is urgent, but I am waiting on you to give me the information I am asking for please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there a way for me to check the windows version without losing you? I do not know the answer to your question. Give me multiple choice and I may be able to respond,
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
windows xp, vista, 7, 8, 10Click this link and it will tell youhttp://whatsmyos.com
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you helping other people while you are helping me? We are getting no where fast!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
We are not getting anywhere as your not answering my questions. I am replying to you within seconds of your messages...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I went to Apple and found OSX as my system.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You are not giving me the information I need to be able to answer your questions. I do not know any other way to communicate with you.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, so you do not have a windows computer even, you have an Mac computer...Which version of word then do you have? Word 2011, Word 2016?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where can i find this answer?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
10.9.5 follows OX S I purchased this in 2012 and it has been upgraded once.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Power off the mac Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup. Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc. Click the First Aid tab. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions. Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD"). Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk. Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where can I find the answer to your question ? Word 2011. If those are the only two options it would be 2011.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will lose these directions when I power off. I will have to copy before I do.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, please do