Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I cannot start my macbook JA: Sometimes things that you think

Customer Question

I cannot start my macbook
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I turn my macbook, then i have The login screen, i login, but After a while of waiting I get the circle sign - no entry
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: I have tried safe mode
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: But I got the message repeating forever error number 19
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you attempt the following pleaseShut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Tell me if you can then sign in please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have done it already earlier, but tried again, still the same I get the screen like waiting for an update and then the no entry sign
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ThanksPower off the mac Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup. Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc. Click the First Aid tab. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions. Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD"). Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk. Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't see a repair icon
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
You click First Aid and Repair is on the bottom right.Make sure you clicked the hard drive first please as per my instructions
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No there is no repair and it says not mounted
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the problem. It is the hard drive that has crashed, its why you cannot repair or why the Mac will not start. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Mac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I already knew that you didn't help at all
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought you will check some things
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want my money back
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
If you already knew this, then you would know the hard drive would have to be replaced, so why go through this entire procedure then?But its up to you whether you pay for the service received, contact customer service for a refund please.Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I didn't know, but I need help with finding out, nobody said I will have to pay upfront £22 I told the lady that I already have done those things
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She sent me to an advisor but I had to pay £3 upfront but in the end it was £22
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just to be told the same things I already did
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Well you now know what the issue is and what you need to do to fix it.Please contact customer service for all payment questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have warranty as this has run out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I replace the hard drive myself?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
you have requested a refund, indicating you knew everything I told you, as I indicated, contact customer service for a refund.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
are you now saying you do not want a refund as it is not clear what you are trying to tell me
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well if you can help me without taking my computer to specialists I can do it myself but I can't loose my files from it
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
you will need to have the hard drive replaced, as I indicated.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know how do I do that? I need help that's why I'm here
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
you purchase a hard drive which you can get herehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/500gb-SATA-Hard-Drive-Apple/dp/B004V89M5GThen open the bottom of the mac book and you will see the hard drive.Take it out, plug the new one in (the plugs only connect to the right plugs so you cannot do this incorrectly)you will then need to reinstall the Mac OS onto the new hard drive via a mac disk (you can get one here if you do not have one)https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mac-OS-Snow-Leopard/dp/B001AMHWP8And you can again use the Macbook
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you
And what if my disc drive doesn't work? What options do I have?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Its rare but it would mean the motherboard'ss sata port has faulted, but this you only know when you replace the hard drive.Replacing the mainboard, when it is out of warranty is not cost effective, the cost to do this exceeds the value of the macbook.