Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My entire iTunes library has disappeared from my macbook pro

Customer Question

My entire iTunes library has disappeared from my macbook pro computer. My library is still on my iPhone, but I'm afraid to connect my phone to the computer for fear it will erase my music from my phone. Is there anything I can do... I don't know when this happened as I don't use my computer for music very often. I try to sign in to my iTunes again, but I get the spinning wheel of death and it never connects.
Category: Mac
Expert:  michelleclive replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.did you ran a recent itunes update?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

when i noticed my library was gone I did, but not before...

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Are there any other questions... I was hoping to get a reply

Please tell me did the library got lost after you ran the updates.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I didn't do the update until after I noticed my library was gone... Please see above reply. One day my library was there and then the next day it wasn't as stated in my original question.

After upgrading iTunes, if you get an empty/incomplete library immediately after upgrading then with the following steps you shouldn't lose a thing or need to do any further housekeeping.Please Note that in iTunes 11 an "empty" library may show your past purchases with links to stream or download them. In the Previous iTunes Libraries folder should be a number of dated iTunes Library files. Take the most recent of these and copy it into the iTunes folder. Rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library (Corrupt).itl and then rename the restored file as iTunes Library.itl. Start iTunes. Should all be good, bar any recent additions to or deletions from your library.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Didn't seem to read my question or subsequent replies and asked the same question again after I had answered it. Then went off line as I was thought my question was being answered.
Alternatively, depending on exactly when and why the library went missing, there may be a more recent .tmp file in the main iTunes folder that can be copied and renamed as iTunes Library.itl to restore the library to an earlier state. Look for a recent .tmp file that is similar in size to the .itl files in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder. If it has happened repeatedly you may want the earliest such file generated since the last iTunes upgrade.
check this forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4938357?tstart=0
you may check this as well: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203225
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Did not read my replies and provided information that did not apply to me.
JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied.Please remember when we dealing with your issue. It is quite possible and may take more than one step or answer multiple times to solve a problem. In case the answer provided does not help or work dont be dissatisfied, use the Reply to expert or click on the “Continue Conversation” button and I will be happy to continue to help. Rate only when the problem is fixed or you are 100% Satisfied with the answer provided.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Does not seem to read replies and provides random information that does not apply to me. I've requested to get another answer 3 times now.
i am sorry i am not getting your reply but notification says you have replied but its blank.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: Other.
This is now the 4th time I have requested to get another answer from someone else. This person does not read my replies and provides information that does not apply to my issue. Why can't I get another answer from someone else.
i am sorry i am not getting your reply but notification says you have replied but its blank.Close the chat and reopen it from your email.