Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

JA: . How can we be of help? Customer: i locked myself

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: i locked myself out of my macbook pro
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the MacBook inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i followed the steps to reset my password ***** got the message cannot open remote host, error DSOpenDirServiceErr
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
What system version are you running?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure. Mac osx
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not very computer literate
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
OK that is very important. How did you try to reset the password?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Typed in the launchctl sequence then dscl .passwd
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Then it kicked back an error can not open remote host
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Not sure where you heard that but it is different for deferent systems never heard of that way...To get started, you will need to restart your computer. Press the Command and R keys at the same time when the grey screen appears and hold them until you see the Apple logo. A small loading bar will appear under the logo. Sit tight as your system boots into Recovery Mode.Click the Utilities tab in the top menu bar, select Terminal, type resetpassword ***** press Enter. Close out the Terminal window and behind it you will find the Reset Password ***** All you have to do now is select the user account you want to reset, enter a new password ***** leave it blank and click Save. Then just simply restart the computer from the Apple menu and login with your new password. It's as easy as that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My computer doesnt do that. It goes right back to the login screen. No admin thing
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
OK then you need to start up form your system disk do you have it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I do not. Lost it a while ago
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
1: Reboot the computer and hold the command and s keys down to enter single user mode.2: When you get control, type fsck -fy and press enter, it will take a bit to finish 3: Next type mount -uw / (there is a space before and after -uw) this mounts the drive 4: Next type ls /Users this will list the Users on the machine so you can get the name 5: Next type passwd username (where username is ***** ***** of the account) 6: Enter the new password ***** you won't see anything. 7: Once inside, your going to have problems with Keychain.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you have a phone contact to discuss over the phone? It's a bit complex
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Sorry no. Maybe another expert can.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I typed the Is /Users. It said Is command not found
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. That worked. I reset the password. Now how do I get back to the login screen
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
OK just type reboot and hit return. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!