Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Keyboard not working

Customer Question

Keyboard not working
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have a magic keyboard on iMac and cannot log on to computer. Nothing from keyboard
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Am at work and cannot wait much longer
Expert:  Terry White II replied 7 months ago.
Hello, thank you for asking your question! My name is ***** ***** I'm a Technical Support Specialist of 15+ years experience as a cross-platform (Mac/PC) Specialist. Glad to assist you with your question today. I know you are at work, so I will make this as quick as I can for you. Can you give me idea what you have already attempted, in order to get your keyboard to discover to your iMac? I want to get an a better understanding of what you have already tried, in order to not be redundant in my troubleshooting steps with you.Thanks, ***** ***** your reply. -Terry
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Restarting and unplugging it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cannot use you. Forget it, I am done and do not want to get charged. Did not get a answer. Thanks anyway. Going to buy a new keyboard.
I apologize for the delay, but I had to get an idea of what you have tried, so I can understand your frustration, because I would be no less in the same state either. What I can recommend you try is to reboot your Mac and perform a PRAM reset.Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown. • Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)This should help with the freezing issue:• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .• Turn on the computer.• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.• Release the keys and allow the Mac to start up. * Once your Mac is back to main desktop, go back into System Preferences > Keyboard and select Set Up Bluetooth Keyboard button.This will either turn your Bluetooth mode on to attempt to rediscover your Magic keyboard. This is a simple process, if this step does not work and you have already tried this a few times already, then either the rechargable battery in the Magic keyboard is dead, or the bluetooth receiver is damaged.And in that case I would agree with you, purchasing a replacement Magic keyboard is a logical step. If you are still interested in getting help on this, please let me know, I am always glad to help and again I do apologize for the frustration this issue is causing you. I await your feedback. Thanks. Terry