Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

Frozen cursor on old Mac Book Pro. Have shut it down and unplugged,

Customer Question

Frozen cursor on old Mac Book Pro. Have shut it down and unplugged, replugged power. It is shut down now.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Second time this week cursor froze. First time it resolved itself.
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No. It's an old Mac, but the board etc was turned up last fall.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeLocate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Release the keys.Tell me if the cursor then moves please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Did as you instructed. Cursor still frozen.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
If you connect an external mouse to the Mac book, does it work with this?Please let me know
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can't find my mouse. Need to disconnect for now, but thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, I will mark this question to remain open so when you have it we can then continue as we need it to proceed.If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. and if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yes, leave the question open and we'll return to it when I have more time. Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Thank you and till then