Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iMovie '09 version 8.0.4 (807) keeps crashing. I got it

Customer Question

My iMovie '09 version 8.0.4 (807) keeps crashing. I got it from an iLife DVD that I kept in case of crashes. Apple won't make 'classic' iMovies available on-line. All Apple will offer is their latest iMovie. Tried that and it's way beyond my capacity to understand. I'm 78. I want an iMove 8 or 9 that doesn't crash.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: • The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??) • Processor • Memory
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have an iMovie '09 version 8.0.4 (807)
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Yes thanks but that is not what I asked.Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:• The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??)• Processor• Memory
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
I need to check some other things but I need that info first or I can just connect by remote and do it for you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My Mac is an OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
OK did you see my offer to remote connect?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes but I'd prefer an email response at***@******.***
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
No the point of remote access is it is quicker for both of us and I can check a lot of things at once. I can’t communicate by email sorry. OK:Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Let me know when you are finished with that procedure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the info but I won't be able to reply for a while as the wife wants to escape Canberra as the pre-election politics is getting rancid. This is not the only time this has happened. On Youtube look for: "Radio Graham - Road Trip To Escape Canberra"
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Great...