Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I just bought a refurbished I-Mac and it has Calif. time and

Customer Question

I just bought a refurbished I-Mac and it has Calif. time and whomever's password ***** was when I bought it. (from GainSaver).
All I wanted to do was to reset the date and the password, but I can't do it. Can you possibly help me?
*************
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. You can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. Follow the steps below to reset the password. Turn off your Mac.Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".Type (without space) : resetpassword ***** return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown. Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain. If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain; Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).Quit Keychain Access. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm here and I will stay with you until we fix the issue. Were you able to reset the password ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I wasn't. I pressed down the buttons and up came a blank page. I hadn't printed out what you said, because I thought i'd see you when I returned. With the blank page, I was afraid I couldn't do anything, including get online at all.
So, I shut it down and just wrote to you now. I'm NOT A TECHIE!!!!
Maybe this is too hard to do for me. I use TechSmith in my area, so not that it's 12:00 here on the east coAst, (my computer is set for Calif. time. Maybe they can talk me thru it. I can't do it this way. If there's any change you can help by hphnhone my number is:(###) ###-#### Not you fault. but as I said: I'm not a techie.
Jill
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Phone support is an additional/premium service which will cost you additional amount. I can help you here without any additional payment It is very easy to reset the password. Can you print out and try the steps again ? Also, normally the password ***** new or refurb Macs comes blank. Did you try leaving the password ***** blank and hitting OK ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually, I haven't even set up the printer to this computer yet. I could write it up, but it might take time. Is it possible for me to call my local Tech Smith? and if he can't help me, call you back and get you?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Jill, it doesn't matter how much time it takes. I will be here until we get this fixed. Yes, you can call your local Tech Smith if you feel that would be easier for you. If they couldn't fix it, then you can get back to me any time you want and I will be happy to help you. If I couldn't solve your problem, you will get full refund. Satisfaction guaranteed :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great. I have a feeling that I will want to get back to you for $39.00. Can you tell me how I can reach you when I get back?
How do I find your name, etc. I think I can remember Ashik but is there a phone number
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
There are many ways to get back to me. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites list, so you can get back to me any time you want via that bookmark Or click on My Accounts at the top right of this page and update your email and password ***** Then when you are back, go to www.justanswer.com Login to this site and you will see this question under My Questions tab. Click it and this page will open and just reply here. I will get back to you ASAP Or you can get back to me via the email you received from this website.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
There are many ways to get back to me. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites list, so you can get back to me any time you want via that bookmark Or click on My Accounts at the top right of this page and update your email and password ***** Then when you are back, go to www.justanswer.com Login to this site and you will see this question under My Questions tab. Click it and this page will open and just reply here. I will get back to you ASAP Or you can get back to me via the email you received from this website
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If that is possible, I just have to have breakfast first, and also make sure that I ask you any other questions that I have. I've never used thanks. Let me copy'/paste how to get to you and I'll hope to be in touch with you soon. (don't worry, I'm not stupid, I'm just old and not a techie).
Jill
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(don't know what I meant by never used "thanks", it was a mistype. I'll try to get you later.
Jill
no answer required.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
I understand Jill. You can ask as many as follow up questions you want and I will help you. Jill, there is also a way to create a brand new administrator account (with your name) and your time zone. If the above instructions doesn't work, then follow the steps below to create a brand new account. • Turn off/shut down your Mac.• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode• When you see the text prompt (black screen with white letters), type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc mount -uw /rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDoneshutdown -h now (If it returns any errors, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly) When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, it will bring a welcome screen. Just follow onscreen instructions and you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer) All these instructions seem a little difficult, but they are actually easy. Let me know if you have any difficulty
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?