Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My 27" thunderbolt display has no power

Customer Question

My 27" thunderbolt display has no power
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. What type of mac do you have, an Imac, Power mac desktop, macbook pro, etc? Also, when was the last time that this same adapter and that same monitor worked correctly? And did you encounter any crashes, errors, or did you recently update the mac, anything you can think of that may have caused or contributed to this issue. Thank you for your response, Dustin S.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Desktop - Monitor worked correctly a week ago - after plugging it into an older desktop MAC pro it failed to respond to the newer desktop pro. No crashes. Monitor was working fine with previous updates.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Allright, thats something we may be able to work with. Whats the full name brand and model of the monitor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Apple Monitor - 27" 2010 Model #2354
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Lets try these two steps. Disconnect the Thunderbolt Display's MagSafe cable from your Mac.Disconnect the Thunderbolt Display from AC power by unplugging the cord.Disconnect all USB peripherals and any cables plugged into the Thunderbolt Display.Wait at least 30 seconds before powering on your Mac and Thunderbolt Display.Reset Your Mac's SMCIntel-based Macs have a System Management Controller (SMC) that can be reset as a possible fix for Thunderbolt Display issues.These instructions are for Mac notebooks with non-removable batteries.Shut down the Mac.Plug in a MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.On the Mac's built-in keyboard, press the left side Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button simultaneously.Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.Press the power button to turn on the Mac.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I reset the SMC?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Followed the first steps but monitor is still not working - I'll need the SMC reset instructions for the desktop - thank you!
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Shut down the Mac.Using keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac That will reset the SMC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doesn't work. Bought a new monitor this morning and it doesn't work with the tower either.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I retrieve the information that's stored in my tower?
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
The most reliable way to pull the information from the hard drive in your tower, is to remove the harddrive. And then use this cable set to connect the old internal harddrive, to another computer via a usb port. That way, you can access the drive and all its files, and copy them off the drive as needed. Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.