John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I am trying to unlock my 10 years old daughter apple ipod because

Customer Question

I am trying to unlock my 10 years old daughter apple ipod because it is disabled and says connect to iTunes. I have done that but nothing is happening. What do I do next?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 6 months ago.
Hi! The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will erase your Apple device, removing any passcodes, re-install the operating system, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind). Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this: users can run System Preferences > Software Update (or “Apple Store” for OS X 10.9 users) > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.) * Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it * Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off). * Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds * Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until... * iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore. Good luck!John
Hi again, it appears you are trying to contact me. Please reply back to this discussion with the problems you are having completing the procedure for more assistance. This procedure does work so if you are having another issue we will have to troubleshoot it. Thanks,John