Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My mac book pro makes the noise that it's on but the screen

Customer Question

My mac book pro makes the noise that it's on but the screen stays black
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. What kind of noise ? Beeping or grinding like noise ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The noise that it makes when it turns on after a restart
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
You mean the usual Chime or Boing sound ? We might be dealing with an hardware issue, but let’s check every possibility to be sure it isn’t something else like software glitch. First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below; Shut down the computer by holding down Power for 5-10 seconds.Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if not already connected.On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.Press the power button to turn on the computer. If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below; Shut down the computer by holding down Power for 5-10 seconds.Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same timeHold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
How is it going ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Charging now but it isn't making the turn on noise now
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Hold down the Power button for 10 seconds and this will turn it off (if it is on already). Then try the above reset methods again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Keep following the instructions but it keeps turning on and off with no difference in the screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Is it still showing black screen ? or does it show Apple or white/grey screen ? This should tell us what the problem is
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Still black
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
I'm afraid either the internal board or display has failed. Press and hold down the Power button for 10 seconds and this will force turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds. Does it boot into any screen or is it still showing black screen ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
When you do the steps above, does it boot into "Mac OS X Utilities" screen or still showing black screen ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
I want you to try the SMC and PRAM reset again. These are the methods that can reset the graphics or display chip. You may need to try this a few times to get it fixed. If it still not working, then I'm sorry. It is the display or the graphic chip (integrated to the mainboard) that has failed. All your files should be safe in the hard drive. You need to take it to the Apple Store to get it fixed. We've ruled out the hardware glitch and software issue. This is something we can't fix online. You need to take it to the Apple Store to get it fixed. You can make an appointment from here --> http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.