Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Pearl, I'm searching answer to why my laptops connect

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm searching for an answer to why my laptops connect to our modem fine but recently my husband's iMac can't hold an internet connection.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Not sure what else I can say... I can work all day in the same room with him and never have a problem but he has to restart his computer at least once an hour - every time the connection gets lost.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mac Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of ~
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. To get started, I need to k now the versio of osx your husband has on his mac, you can check as follows. Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
V 10.9.5
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there Dustin?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
It takes time to read, formulate a response, and type out a legible response that can be followed~ If our email system isnt fast enough for you, we do offer remote support. Where I can connect to your husbands mac from here and try to fix the issues in person. This could be happening for many different reasons.. So lets start with some broad repairs first that could work. And if they dont fix the issue, we will start to narrow down our focus. Shut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.Turn on your Mac.Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.Release the keys. When the mac starts, run this repair next. Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions . When it says permissions repair complete. Next, lets delete all your network connections from the mac. Heres what to do Go to your System Preference > Network > Airport > Advanced > Airport and use the "-" button to delete all your saved network connections. Reboot the machine, and manually connect to the network again. Does that solve the issue>? I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A simple acknowledgement that you had received my response and that you were working on it would have kept me there. Now my husband is working and I can't interrupt him for about a half hour. I'll try this and check back in ~
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Not a problem, and understood. When you have time to try the steps, if you run into any issues or cant complete any one of the steps, let me know specifically where you are getting stuck at, and Ill do my best to help you. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey Dustin, back again. I managed to get the Repair Permissions completed - lots of stuff showed up in that list. Now I'm working on: "Next, lets delete all your network connections from the mac. Heres what to do
Go to your System Preference > Network > Airport > Advanced > Airport and use the "-" button to delete all your saved network connections."(we don't have an Airport any longer)
Once I get to Network I have a list on the left of:
Wi-Fi
Samsung_Android
Ethernet
FireWire
Bluetooth PAN
Thunderbolt BridgeWhere do I go from here?
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
This link may help, as this shows how to delete your wireless network, and then how to reconnect. Take note though, that once youve deleted the wireless network, Id like you to restart the mac and then reconnect to the wireless network. Heres the guide~ http://www.tp-link.com/en/FAQ-286.html Also, lets not forget the pram reset, as this is important and may help Shut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.Turn on your Mac.Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.Release the keys.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
While I was waiting:
I went to Advanced for the Wi-Fi, deleted our home network, rebooted and was stuck with a grey screen for 3 1/2 minutes.
I had to power off then back on.
Opened Network preferences, went into Advanced for Wi-Fi and reloaded our network.In your original response you said to use the Opt+Cmd+P+R only at the beginning of the instructions, you didn't say to do it again after everything... now you are saying I have to do it again at the end? And what is this "Step 4" you keep referring to?We won't know if this has worked for a bit (unless it didn't work - in which case we should know within a couple of hours)...Please read your own instructions carefully when communicating... step 3 from the link has "/wi-f"i buried after Airport - difficult to catch but for many less informed even than I, you repeating Airport and sending a link that only references an option to Airport briefly, will only further confuse the issue.
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
When you responded you had said you completed the permissions repair, you never referenced the pram reset. Hence why I reminded you. From your recent reply, it sounds like were at a point where we need to watch and wait to see if the issue is fixed. Lets allow 24 hours to pass, if the issue returns before then by all means reply. If it doesn't disconnect by this time tomorrow, please send a reply and let me know so we can mark the issue as resolved. Thank you, ***** and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Excellent, thank you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. Just wanted to check back with you to see if your husbands machine has continued disconnecting, or if the issue seems to be fixed. Its been over two days, and that should be enough time for us to know whether its working correctly or not. Thank you for your response when you have the time.. Dustin S.
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, I havent heard back from you since you read my reply. Did you still need help? Is everything working now? Thank you for your response, Dustin S.