Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
10156100

I have an Apple TV hooked

Customer Question

I have an Apple TV hooked to a wired network and I can access my music but it says home sharing isn't on when I try to play movies. I checked sharing in iTunes and I checked the email dis are the same
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Mac Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I am not on a Mac. I'm on a pc.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris. On your Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Accounts > Home Sharing. On earlier models of Apple TV, go to Settings > Computers. Select Turn on Home Sharing. Then enter your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network. Also turn on file sharing on your PC: Open iTunes on your computer.Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.Go to File > Home Sharing.Turn on Home Sharing. Let me know if this resolves your issue not reply back to me. Please take the time to rate my service if your issue is resolved and submit at the top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Step 1 home sharing is on already. It says, "turn off home sharing"
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
That has to be done from your PC. Would you like to do a remote share screen so I can work on this for you? I can offer you additional services.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw I turned off home sharing then did the rest of the steps. Same result
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you need me to do?
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a iPhone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes but I will have to turn it on. Hold on
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Turn on Home sharing on your PC. Then restart iTunes also restart the Apple TV. On your iPhone:Go to Settings > Music, or Settings > Videos.Scroll down to Home Sharing.Tap Sign in.Then enter your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have completed all steps. Apple ID is the same (*****@******.***) everywhere. iTunes is restarted. I turned home sharing off then back on in iTunes then back on using san
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same Id. Then did the same on Apple TV.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Still receiving the same message on Apple TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I'm going to restart the pc now. I can't think of anything else
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Are you using the latest version of iTunes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I install the updates when they ask me to.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Try restarting the PC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows restart in progres
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very strange. On Apple TV menu I can select music-my music and play songs from my pc but I still get the same Apple TV msg when trying to access my computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it isn't a network prob as I have a valid IP address on the Apple TV. I have a ip scanning app and both the pic and Apple TV show up.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
You may want to check and see if you have the latest version of iTunes. Use the link run the installer, it will download and install the software for you if there is a newer version. https://ninite.com/itunes/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.3.3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also ran update on app,e tv it says I am up to date.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
OK that is the latest version. How about your Apple TV is there any updates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Read
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didn't see your last response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just deathbed my pic and authorized it again. (Same I'd)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow, spellcheck went nuts. I deautherized and re authorized
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
No problem, try restarting your router as well. Unplug for 20 seconds.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Let me know the outcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will take a few minutes to restart. I should have mentioned that I just upgraded my ATT internet service but I looked at these settings as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there? I forgot my iPad is going through my router so I lost connection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Router restarted, same results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anybody there?
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, at this point I am out of ideas. I will opt out and open this to other experts who may have a solution for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think instead want my money back. I've done everything Chhri told me t Pissarro bunch of the ideas in the forums all to no avail.