Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I just did a Gemini duplicate clean out I then restarted Mac

Customer Question

I just did a Gemini duplicate clean out I then restarted Mac book pressing the control option when it gets to reloading desktop I only get finder icon jumping up and down and none of my desktop folders appear
JA: Apple makes such lovely gadgets but they're still computers underneath. That's where the Mac Technician comes in really handy. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I need to get my regular desktop back without flashing finder icon
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mac Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I'm restarting holding shift key now
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Yes those kind of apps are iffy at best. Do you have a Time Machine backup?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
If not or you don't know what that is.... Try to restart toe Recovery HD: Depending on your system it may look a little different at the end: 10.11 or aboveReboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run. If all is ok quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X________10.10 or belowReboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know. If all is ok quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X