Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

I killed my computer trying to add memory. Not turns on and

Customer Question

I killed my computer trying to add memory. Not turns on and the lines below the apple goes about 2/3 and it turns off. The start up is not starting. I tried the holding the option and got to the disks for repair and it cannot repair. It also shows the whole disk filled by Other and the music pictures etc do not show. I teach online and I am in big trouble. This is an iMac 2011 and I just recently upgraded to el capitan
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Mac Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I am praying for a solution
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  BigDish101 replied 6 months ago.
Have you tried removing the memory you added restoring it to the configuration is was previously?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes. I removed the new chips and it is back to the original state. Except it won,t followthrough to the full start up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you can fix it. Ok
I'll refer this to someone else.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is a desktop so I will not have it with me until after work. Is this going to be answered tonight?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am also putting in writing that I want this question only and not to be sign up for any free trial or monthly commitment. oK?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is anybody there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please someone answer me
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well. That certainly fits with how this day is going...
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeSorry about the delay in response.Can you do the following pleaseShut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Release the keys.Tell me if it then starts please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I already zapped the PRam. No luck.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am at work and the computer is home. I will be home at 4:30. Will anyone be available then?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
ok, please send a message here when you at the computer and list everything you have already tried
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried to repair the disk. It said it could not. I did start with X, start with control. I am trying to get a start up disk for El Capitan.
I have been saving backups on an external drive and they are listed by it says they are not in time machine.
If I have to reformat it, how do I load the backup?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
it will ask you if you wish to restore from Time Machine and it is at that point you choose it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I saw the list on the drive , clicked on the most recent backup and then the next screen said nothing was in Time Machine.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
ok, then there are no backups for it to retrieve if it is indicating this.You would best do a clean reinstall to see if it actual functions or if this is a hardware issue.