Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I've locked my self out of my McBook Pro JA:

Customer Question

***** ***** I've locked my self out of my McBook Pro
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Forgot my login password
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeYou will have to reset the passwordTo do thisPower off the MacRight after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.resetpasswordA new window will open, like this:http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20140617resetpassword1a.jpgClick on the the main volume, then select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save." Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.When the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.Let me know the results please Thank you