Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

I've locked my self out of my McBook Pro JA:

Customer Question

***** ***** I've locked my self out of my McBook Pro
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Forgot my login password
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeYou will have to reset the passwordTo do thisPower off the MacRight after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.resetpasswordA new window will open, like this: on the the main volume, then select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save." Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.When the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.Let me know the results please Thank you