Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  if you looking for good answers about mac or any product of apple (ipad, iphones, ect..) contact me

My i-tunes on my macbook no longer automatically

Customer Question

My i-tunes on my macbook no longer automatically retrieves the CD track names and other info from Gracenote when I want to import a CD? Please help?! Thanks John
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mac Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I have a brand new Macbook pro (2016) with i tunes installed on it. I still buy my music on CD and always import it to my library and onto other devices. For no apparent reason (and before I upgraded my macbook) i-tunes couldn't retrieve the data of the DC's I put in my drive. The drive is brand new and works fine. Some of my music is unusual dance / electronic music so I tried with mainstream stuff like Coldplay etc but this doesn't work either.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today, Please try the following : Insert the CD into your computer. If you don’t see info for the CD, click the CD button (or logo) near the top left of the iTunes window.Do one of the following:Import all songs on the CD: Click Yes in the window that appears. iTunes starts importing the CD. When it’s finished, go to step 6.Prevent certain songs from being imported: Click No and go to step 3.When the list of songs appears in the iTunes window, click to remove the checkmark next to any songs you don’t want to import.Note: If you’re not connected to the Internet or iTunes can’t find the CD’s information, songs appear as “Track 01,” “Track 02,” and so on. For more information, see If you don’t see song information.To add the selected songs to your library, click Import CD near the top right of the iTunes window.Select your import settings and click OK.To cancel importing, click Stop Importing. Any songs that iTunes imports before you cancel importing are added to your iTunes library. If iTunes doesn’t recognize audio CDs or if you’re having trouble importing songs, check the following:If error correction is turned on, it can take longer to import CDs. Choose iTunes > Preferences, and click Import Settings. If the “Use error correction when reading Audio CDs” checkbox is not selected, select it. If it’s already selected, deselect it.If you have more than one CD or DVD drive, try using iTunes with each drive.If it’s taking a long time to import a song (more than 10 minutes) from an audio CD, the CD may be dirty or scratched. Try cleaning the CD with a soft, lint-free cloth, and then importing the songs again. If you hear popping or clicking noises when you play songs imported from a CD, your disc drive may not have read the CD correctly. Try turning on error correction and then importing those songs again.To turn on error correction when importing songs from CDs:Choose iTunes > Preferences.In the General pane, click Import Settings.Select “Use error correction when reading Audio CDs.”Insert the CD and import the songs again.To prevent duplicate items from appearing in your iTunes library, delete any songs you’ve imported again. You can alsi uninstall and reinstall iTunes and try importing th CD again Hope this help Thank you
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
If you have a moment, kindly rate my answer by clicking on one of the stars below, positive rating are appreciated.JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied.Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Med,None of this helps. I put a CD in the drive and it comes up with Audio CD and no track names. Clicking the CD logo does nothing. I don't wan to install it without the detail of track names etc. You suggest going to point 6 in your reply but there isn't one. I obviously do not wan to do it manually. Checking the error correction makes no difference - I've tried. If I uninstall and re-install i tunes I will lose all my music, so I don't fancy that either.
Please provide a solution.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
Hold on please, do not Rate my answer until we finished with the session. Once you are satisfied please RATE 4 or above. only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer as poor or bad service , if you are not satisfied.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
Please delete CD info.cidb file in <user>/Library/Preferences/CD info.cidb restart your ccomputer and test, if that not work turn off "Automatically retrieve CD names from Internet", and set "When you insert CD" to "Show CD". now you can manually retrieve names using Advanced->Get Track Names, then click Import CD. if the problem persists then you need to do a complete uninstall, and download iTunes again from : Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Struggling to find that path..... Can you help please?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
What version of mac do you have please? From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X”:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
Copy the following path and paste it into the "Go to Folder" input field. ~/Library/Preferences Finally click "Go" to go to the folder.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Neither of those have worked either. I hope i have tried it correctly.If I uninstall and re-install will i lose all my music?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
You shouldn't lose anything, but I strongly recommend that before you uninstall and reinstall itunes you make a backup of the things you've purchased from the iTunes Store and any other content that would be difficult to replace, just in case something goes wrong. If you have a moment kindly rate my answer by clicking on one of the stars, positive rating are appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Howdy uninstall and re-install?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
Please follow the step by step instructions at the link below : Thank you
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 6 months ago.
Has everything worked out please? Your satisfaction is my top goal. Please rate if you're satified with the answer that i provide, If you are not satisfied for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert) rather than giving me a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm afraid that it has not worked out. Sending me a link to an Apple page is not much use at all. I appreciate your efforts but having paid for the problem to be solved (because it is that important to me) i am disappointed that it has not been. I should not have to pay extra for remote assistance / access to my macbook. If that's what needed to resolve it then that should be covered by what I have paid already.
I will be seeking a refund and will have to go to an Apple retailer for a solution.