Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert
Experience:  Years ago & in 2 years recently, I helped with Mac OS [X] & MacBook & Air & BootCamp etc. problems.

Yesterday a small drink was knocked onto the keyboard of

Customer Question

Hi, yesterday a small drink was knocked onto the keyboard of my MacBook Pro. I immediately unplugged it, turned it upside down with a fan blowing on the keyboard and unscrewed the back to see if anything had actually gotten to the battery or motherboard (it appeared dry tho). Anyway, my coworker unwittingly pushed it to the side in the office, potentially causing some harm to the exposed underside and now it won't even turn on. I've gotten as far as running some tests on the hardware (which, as far as I can see, is uncompromised)and starting it in safe mode but the screen shuts off (screen goes str8 to black) before I can do much else.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Mac Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I was trying to maybe restore the OS from the disk utility but it shuts off before I can
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If a considerable amount of any drink (even flavored water or mineral water or vitamin water, in my experience) has gotten on the keyboard of a running laptop-type computer, even briefly, it has likely gotten inside into the workings, and caused considerable permanent damage. Drinks and/or food and computer devices, do not mix well. The most hopeful thing you can do is dry such a case, with the power removed immediately (and the battery also pulled for maximum safety to the workings) for three days at least. And never turn it On to try it out, before that. I wouldn't blame your co-worker. Probably the device is damaged beyond usefulness. But try a three-day dry (in a safe place without co-workers, children, pets, or dirt/dander/dust) and see how it goes after that. I'm sorry to hear about a case like this. I really am. The prolonged drying without trying is about the best hope.