Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

This is ***** *****. I have an issue with my Mac photo apps--iphoto

Customer Question

Hi this is ***** *****. I have an issue with my Mac photo apps--iphoto and photo. Can you help me with this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I run a power mac, and I upgraded a few weeks ago to the El Capitan OS. I guess it comes with the new "Photo". When I try to open that app it immediately closes and says photos quit unexpectedly. I've tried opening with option held down, but to no avail. So I tried opening the old iPhoto. It opens but no photos show up. It lists the huge numbers of photos, and is still arranged in albums, etc., but there are no images. Its just black. I can see that there is still a very large iPhoto library and also a new equally large photo library. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run. Let me know after
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's the answer: run First Aid! I did that before asking my question. The problem is deeper than that...
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
No that is just the start we have to make sure that is ok first, all was ok I assume?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
You only said Power Mac, is that an iMac or what exactly? Do you only have one hard drive?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
I see this problem all the time and I am sure I can fix it but I seem to have lost you. I should haver made it clear at the start the checking of the drive's directory was not intended as an answer, just the first step, sorry.