Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a macbook Pro OS X 10.5.8. How can I update safari to support a lot of the newer w

Customer Question

I have a macbook Pro OS X 10.5.8. How can I update safari to support a lot of the newer websites. The sites will not load all the way and say my version of safari does not support the website.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. You are using a 9 year old OS X on your Mac and many of the websites are not supported on it. Neither latest Chrome, Firefox or Safari will not work on it. You need to upgrade the OS X to 10.6 or later to get latest browsers. Could you please give me the details about the hardware specs of your Mac ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. What is the Memory and Processor in there ? If your Mac is compatible with latest OS X, then I will send you instructions to upgrade the OS X.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2.26 GHz intel core 2 duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Your Mac is compatible with latest OS X. You need to upgrade the OS X first to get latest Safari or Firefox or Chrome. The latest OS X 10.11 El Capitan.To install 10.11 El Capitan, you need to install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard first To install 10.6 Snow Leopard, you have to buy the Snow Leopard discs. You can't download it from internet. You have to buy it as discs. You can buy it from here --> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard When you get the Snow Leopard discs, just put it on your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade the OS X. After upgrading the OS X, you will get a working Safari (not latest Safari) or you will be able to install latest Chrome or Firefox. Then you can upgrade the OS X to 10.11 El Capitan from Snow Leopard directly for FREE . To get 10.11 El Capitan in Snow Leopard, click on Apple and select App Store. This will open App Store. In App Store, click Updates and you will find El Capitan there. Click Free Upgrade button and this will download El Capitan. If you upgrade to El Capitan, you will get latest Safari, latest apps, updates, security updates etc If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a free way to upgrade or is my only option buying the snow leopard discs?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
You have to go through Snow Leopard first. Snow Leopard is required in order to download the El Capitan as App Store only comes with Snow Leopard or later version. El Capitan is FREE.
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Once you installed 10.6 Snow Leopard, do all updates from Apple > Software Updates. This will update 10.6 to 10.6.8 and you will see App Store application in Apple menu or in Applications folder. You can download El Capitan from App Store for free. App Store is not available in 10.5 Leopard. So you need atleast 10.6.8 Snow Leopard to download El Capitan.