GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

I have a new ipod and when I hook it up to my mac it says I

Customer Question

I have a new ipod and when I hook it up to my mac it says I don't have a new enough version of i-tunes. When I try to update i-tunes it says I have the newest version.
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
What version of MAC OSX are you running on your computer? If you're not sure, here's how you can find out:From the Apple () menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X”:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
version 10.6.8
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
You're running Snow Leopard. Snow LEopard will not support newer versions of Itunes. If your MAC meets the hardware requirements of El Capitan, you should consider upgrading to it. Go to the App Store on your MAC and try to download El Capitan. If you are told that it's incompatible with your computer, then your computer is too old to be compatible with your new iPod. If your computer meets the requirements for upgrading to El Capitan, back up your data and check your applications for compatibility before upgrading. In particular, Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC programs such as versions of Microsoft Office prior to 2008.If upgrading to El Capitan works for you, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! If it does not work for you, please let me know as there may be a possibility of upgrading to 10.7 to get the correct version of iTunes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought up el cap in the app store - how do I tell if it is compatible? If so how do I back up my files?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
When you try to download it, it will either allow you to do so, or give you a message stating that it is incompatible.The best way to back up a MAC is to use Time Machine but this requires a separate backup drive. You can back up your documents and photos by uploading them to a cloud account like icloud or google drive or one drive, but a time machine backup is always an extremely good idea because it allows you to restore your complete operating system if your computer should crash. Please let me know if you'd liek detailed instructions on using Time Machine with Snow Leopard.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Mark do you still need help with this? If so please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to decide how I want to back everything up before I try the change to el cap
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I'd recommend an external hard drive for a Time Machine Backup if you want to be sure that you can revert everything to exactly the state that is in before the upgrade. If you are only concerned with backing up files and phtos you may want to try a free online cloud backup such as Google Drive, One Drive from Microsoft or Dropbox. I'd really appreciate if you would be kind and take a moment to rate my service. I have identitified the original problem and provided information on how to resolve it. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal!