GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

We have a MacBook that was used by a previous employee, who

Customer Question

We have a MacBook that was used by a previous employee, who unfortunately passed away. We need to get into the machine to retrieve some information that is there. Can you help?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: We was doing some programming for another company. A change needs to be made in the code & it was only on this MacBook.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mac Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing comes to mind
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 8 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. It is my pleasure to assist you today.I do have a trick that might work. Start by turning the MacBook off. When you turn it back on, immediate press (and hold) the COMMAND and R keys at the same time; continue holding them until you see the Apple logo appear on-screen. You will then see a small progress meter appear beneath the Apple logo, and the MacBook will boot into Recovery Mode.Once Recovery Mode loads, select UTILITIES from the top menu bar, and then select TERMINAL. Type "resetpassword" and press ENTER. This will cause the Reset Password ***** to pop up (you may, at this point, need to close the Terminal window to see it). Inside the Reset Password ***** select the user account whose password ***** need to change, enter a new password (or leave it blank), and click SAVE. Then, restart the computer.After the computer boots back up, you should have access to the account using the new password!I hope that helps. If you run into any problems or have additional questions, please let me know.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have the reset password ***** open but nothing shows for select volume. It says no available users
In that case, it sounds like the hard drive is encrypted using FileVault. I'm afraid I don't have a trick for that (and honestly don't think it's possible to get around). Nevertheless, I am going to open this question back up to some of our other Mac experts in case any of them know a trick that I don't.Thank you for your patience...we'll have another expert paired with you ASAP.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.
Good morning. My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. I'm so sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Eric is correct. It does sound like the the hard drive is encrypted using FileVault, and I agree with him in that I don't think it is possible to bypass it. Apple prides themselves on their tight security. However there may be other solutions. If you know his apple id ( it may appear as an email address above the password ***** on the login screen), you may be able to reset his password ***** you have enough information. Generally speaking, people setup alternate email addresses and/or phone numbers to allow them to reset their password ***** it has been forgotten. If his cell phone was company owned and you still have it, you may be able to have a code sent to it, to allow you to reset the password, or if his family is co-operative, they may be willing to provide you with the code if it is sent to his personal cell phone.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.
I will provide detailed instructions for resetting an Apple password, just in case you'd like to try this method. Retrieve your Apple ID if you don’t know itPlease note: Usually your apple id is your password. However you can check to be sure by following these steps.Go to http://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid#!&section=appleidWhen the webpage opens enter your first name, last name, and email address. Click continue.Your Apple id should be displayed on the next page. Reset Apple Password ***** to http://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid#!&section=password1. Enter your Apple ID. Click continue2. Choose whether to get an email or to answer security questions.3. Click next and follow the instructions on the screen. If the information that I have provided has helped, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!