JACUSTOMER-k0v3sb31-
JACUSTOMER-k0v3sb31-,
Experience:  Android Developer at TriGamma Games
93146648

How can I view the Global Address List from an office 365

Customer Question

How can I view the Global Address List from an office 365 email address in Outlook 2011 for Mac ?I've read that this is not supported by Microsoft. Are there 3rd party applications or software I can use so I can see the entire directory ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-k0v3sb31- replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. You are correct when you say that this is not supported by Microsoft, since Office for Mac does not have an LDAP server. According to Microsoft:

Outlook 2011 for Mac does not use Exchange Cached mode and directly connects to the Global Address Book. In this case your global address book will update each time Send/Receive is pressed.

So, when you send/receive, a new copy of the GAL is downloaded to your app.

I don't know if this answered your question, but I think it is a good starting point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cool. So am I at all able to view the the Global Address list at any point in time ?

Yes, If you want to look at the latest copy of the GAL, simply send/receive. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. and just to make sure this works with office 365 ?

Absolutely. Here is a link: http://accc.uic.edu/answer/how-manually-update-your-copy-global-address-list-gal-outlook

I hope this answered your question

Regarding LDAP and GAL with Outlook 2011 (Mac)...

You are correct in that Outlook 2011 does not offer LDAP. That does not mean you cannot access it.

According to Microsoft:

1. For BPOS-S, Contact Search does not work as this requires an exposed LDAP server, which we don't provide.
2. When you start typing in the TO/CC/BCC fields, it performs an EWS lookup which is why you get search results.

(https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/8a9c2e3f-7e7a-4c90-bb7f-662bae3f2495/outlook-2011-directory-service-setting-for-microsoftonline?forum=onlineservicesexchange)

In other words, Outlook 2011 for Mac cannot search the GAL from contact search, but it can from the To:, Cc:, and Bcc: fields.

And since Office 365 uses an Exchange Server, the GAL is updated with every send/receive.