Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I'm ***** *****. I have an Apple TV that is simply showing

Customer Question

I'm ***** *****. I have an Apple TV that is simply showing the screen of my iphone 6 via wifi. After 5-10 minutes of displaying everything fine, the apple TV disconnects from showing the iphone screen and just displays the last internal apple TV menu that I set up.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Umm. Brand new Apple TV. Bought today. Iphone 6. I don't know how to tell the ios version number, but it's the latest.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Are you playing something on the phone and displaying it on the TV?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This happens both when the phone is idle and when i am playing a youtube video.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Is the Apple TV near the router? If so I suggest you connect it directly using an Ethernet cable and then also restart both the phone and the Apple TV. Other options if your WiFi router supports it is to make a separate SSID for your 5 GHz band and connect both the phone and the Apple TV to use that SSID it is less crowded usually and can be faster

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The Apple TV is about 10 feet away from the router. This morning I bought an ethernet cable and direct-connected the Apple TV and the router. The problem continues. It happens about every 5-6 minutes. The display reverts from showing what is on the iPhone (this is what I want it to do) to displaying whatever the last menu accessed was using the remote for the Apple TV. Sound from the iPhone also stops being played from the Apple TV.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Did you restart both devices?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Are they both updated to the latest software>

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but let me do it again, now, since I was interrupted the last time... Yes. Both have the latest software. I just tried everything again after hard-wiring and rebooting both iphone and apple tv. The same problem persists...
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Do you have the option of a separate SSID for the 5GHz network on your router?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Also on Apple TV Settings / General / Sleep After: change that to Never

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

I think the iOS 9.3.1 just came out today

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know how to update my iphone to the latest ios. I normally just wait until it tells me it has an update and let it go.
I don't know about the SSID on the router, but I hard-wired one of the 4 switched ethernet ports on the router to the apple tv. Doesn't that eliminate any wireless weirdness?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Turn of WiFi on the Apple TV if it is connected by Ethernet which will always be faster and more stable, on the phone go to Settings / General / software Update

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

I actually have an older Apple TV and a new iPhone 6S I am testing it now to see if it cuts out. The Apple TV is connected by Ethernet and I have my IPhone connected to my 5 GHz network from Apple Airport Extreme

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

No disconnect until the phone went to sleep for a while