Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

The problem is my son's laptop won't get past the Apple Icon

Customer Question

The problem is my son's laptop won't get past the Apple Icon & the timer going around. I got to the Disk Utility & it states that it stopped repairing Macintosh HD. That I need to back up as many of his files as possible.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm trying to back up his photos
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello Tina, and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

If the disk utility is showing the REPAIR stopped working, this is a HUGE indication that the Hard Drive is failiing.

Typically, hard drives dont just fail all at once. Usually, they start acting up, causing the computer to freeze, or it makes loud clicking sounds.

.

But once you start to notice wierd issues, and especially if the Hard Disk Utility is reporting an issue in the repair process, you dont have much time before the hard drive becomes fully UNRESPONSIVE.

Once that happens.....your ONLY choice is to have the data pulled off the drive using a company that specializes in data recovery, and thats not cheap. It becomes a matter of how much is that data worth...ya know.

.

So....at thispoint, if the drive is unresponsive, and you cant access the files at all no matter what computer you attach the drive to......then as i mentioned.....the drive is now fully failed....and you have but one option left......send it in for data recovery......or trash it, which by proxy also results in data loss.