Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

My old iMac froze with 1 minute remaining during migration

Customer Question

my old iMac froze with 1 minute remaining during migration assistant to the new iMac. Old stayed frozen for days even if I shut it off. I just found the command "q" recommendation and am now able to quit the failed migration. On the new mac, I do not have any of my files or documents yet, though the process ran for 23+ hours (wirelessly) before the freeze occurred.
JA: Apple makes such lovely gadgets but they're still computers underneath. That's where the Mac Technician comes in really handy. Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: Do I have to repeat migration assistant from the beginning? How do I prevent it from hanging up at the end? It is very time consuming, especially if it is not even going to work. Also, will I double transfer some items that take up hard drive that I may not be aware of since they are not documents/files I usually access?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Yes, the migration will start back over when you connect the computers again. One suggestion that I can give is to have both computers connected to your internet via an ethernet cable. The files will not be double transferred and to try and prevent the hanging up at the end, try the ethernet trick.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did as you suggested. The migration went faster but still quit at the same point. Old Mac still says "1 minute remaining" and new Mac said migration has quit (not finished). I still don't have resolution to my problem.
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Your issue is actually a "common" one but it does not have a definite resolution to fix the issue. Where some issues were fixed by just running the migration again and others were fixed by performing the steps that I gave you; there were others that never had a solution to the problem.

I would suggest taking the computers to a local repair shop or having a local tech come to your issue to view the migration process to make sure there is nothing wrong.