technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
65369237

I am trying to fix apple TV which has stopped working. There

Customer Question

I am trying to fix apple TV which has stopped working. There is no serial number on the little box. I cannot figure out how to get into Apple TV to check for the serial number. I need to change the battery in the remote but it is not coming apart. How do you spell uuuuuuuuuughhhhhh? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Mac
Expert:  technicalcat replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Is your apple tv box showing any video to your TV? Does it turn on? Is the problem just with the remote?

To test for this, make sure your apple tv box is plugged into the TV. Then unplug the POWER cable from the wall, wait about a minute, and plug it back in. Then observe what you see on the TV screen, and let me know.

This diagram shows the connections to help you. You'll see the HDMI. That's the cable going to your TV. Looks like a metal square type plug. Then you have the power cord going from your wall to the apple tv. That's the one you need to unplug, and plug back in.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht205358

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Done. Now the box has a light on it, but the remote still isn't working, and I can't get to the battery to change it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you there?

Good to hear!

Your Apple TV likely uses a small coin/watch type battery. Although most people don't have them on hand, you can purchase them at places like walmart and drug stores. Make sure to check, but it's likely a CR2032. Here is a link to instructions on how to replace.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201531

If I have helped you today, please don't forget to leave me a rating. If you have further questions, I'm here for you both before and after rating. Thank You.