Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My MacBook won't recognize my password. I'm nearly positive

Customer Question

My MacBook won't recognize my password. I'm nearly positive I'm entering it correctly and I used it successfully earlier today. I've tried several times and am afraid if I try again I will get locked out. Help!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen. Sign in if you can then let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How many times can I input the wrong password ***** being locked out? Will it warm me before that happens? I'm tempted to try one more time before going through what you describe. One thought - I recently changed the password ***** with my Apple ID (a few days ago) and I'm wondering if my MacBook password ***** changes also??
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Yes of course it check that online. Go here and check on another device or computer:

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure which question you're answering. My questions are:
How many attempts do I get before being locked out?
And will it warn me before that happens?
And does my MacBook password ***** automatically when I change my Apple ID password?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

3 times normally. Yes no matter where you change you Apple ID password ***** is updated everywhere because it checks it online. The problem is you can either use your Apple ID password ***** your computer or a separate password ***** are you sure you used your Apple ID password ***** your computer password? Where are you putting it in... is this to login to your computer or just to log in to iCloud, etc...?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's the login to my MacBook computer. However the password ***** my password ***** with my Apple ID, which I recently changed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried more than three times before contacting you however I haven't received a notice that I am about to be locked out if I get it wrong again. Does that mean I can give it a try without risk of being locked out yet?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Have you tried the "changed" password *****? You will not be locked out forever anyway...

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Make sure the MacBook is connected to the internet

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

I'm afraid i have to sign off for tonight please Let me know if the problem persists, tomorrow,