John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Hooray, you're on line!!! I get positive vibes about you

Customer Question

Hooray, you're on line!!! I get positive vibes about you being able to fix this!! While downloading ALL my OLD iPod songs to a newer PC, the program uploaded instead. Lost it all! Talked w/people at Apple to ‘reinstall’ my library, but all said couldn’t find it. I was assured when I opened my iTunes acct MANY yrs ago that my entire library would always be kept at iTunes...??? You’re my last hope. Can YOU pls help me?***@******.***,***@******.***,***@******.*** (last one pr
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, yes indeed, your entire purchased library can be re-downloaded if you can gain access to your account.

HOWEVER, none of those three ID's come up as associated with an Apple ID. Do you have any others that you might have possibly used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THIS CANNOT BE! Dang, Dang and Dang. Is there no other identifiable information you could use? Let me check out some old jump drives to see if I can glean any info there. . .
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have ANY of the original songs originally purchased under the old account?

If we can't pull up your Apple ID using the info above BUT you currently have just one track purchased in iTunes on your computer then you may be able to see the ID; To view this information, simply select any purchased song in iTunes and press Command-I or choose "Get Info" from the File menu. Then in the Summary tab of the window that appears (this should be the default tab), you should see the name / Apple ID listed.

Failing that, have you tried this link to attempt a search by name and email combination:

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid#!&section=appleid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh, was that you requesting permission to drive the bus? The only problem there is. . .this is #3 computer (laptop) from when I had the account. It wouldn't have any 'hidden' info on it regarding this dumb ol' problem ???????? And no, no one ever told me about the 'forgot apple' link. I'll give it a try in a sec. Would old addresses have any value here?????
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

I think you may have seen an automate remote assistance message. That was initiated by me. :-)

This is the same latop that you used to use the old ID on?

If you open iTunes and click on "Store" in the menu bar. Does it list an Apple ID anywhere? Such as "View Account (abc @ def.com)"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even got a 'pop up' asking for permission access
Nope, I was using an old computer (dial-up. ..yikes) back then. This is my third (I think) since then.Geez, there were so many songs in that library. . .think any come to mind???? NOPE. Oh wait. "Make me Lose Control" by Eric Carmen. . .
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Do you think there are any email addresses you may have forgotten about?

Also, this iTunes Store account wasn't originally created via AOL was it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S. I believe I tried every trick known to mankind looking for my account. Including store, blah, blah, blah
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

See my questions above concerning AOL, etc...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Um, I don't remember. I do know it was one of the very first years after it was created. And those 3 email address I sent you are the only old ones I can find. I'm still going thru a jump drive from 2005. Found some saved songs. . .shoot, won't let me copy/paste. Bridge over Troubled Waters or House of the Rising Sun or probably every early Beatles songs
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Open iTunes and try dragging the songs from the drive directly into the iTunes window.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again, no can do. 'Apple' deleted the entire library on my ipod and uploaded the few from the ID I am using now. The only place that library can be is on the iTunes web site. I just got another remote assist
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Oh I thought you said you found some songs on a drive from 2005?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh sorry. I found a file on a jump drive I was looking at. It was just a list of songs from back then, so figured they had a strong chance of being in the (even older) iTues library. Didn't you ask me for some of the purchased songs as a potential assist?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
No, sorry, I was asking if you had any physical copies of even one song we might be able to get the ID off of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's over, huh?.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Have you ever used the Apple Express Lane dept to try and verify the account?

https://expresslane.apple.com/

Choose the correct category and issue as prompted by the service above and you will eventually reach a web form to enter the details of your specific situation. If you need a suggestion for which support path to follow, try:

iTunes > iTunes Store > Account Management > Managing or editing an Apple ID > Email

If other info has stayed the same such as street address, phone number, etc, you might have some luck that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm struggling over here and am so frustrated. I can't seem to do any of this right. I even tried to add my laptop or iPod to my devices list (right now it shows only my iPad. . .I always use the laptop). Couldn't find what you 'sent me out to look for' =( Do you think you can take care of this nightmare for me by signing on to my account? I still haven't added any of the songs I've been purchasing to replace the 'lost' ones to my iPod (well, I don't think I have. . .) until you take a look and tell me that I am indeed out-of-luck. . .
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

If you're talking about the Devices list in iTunes then that will only show mobile Apple devices such as your iPad or an iPhone.

My last recommendation was to contact the Apple Express Lane dept to see if they could locate another Apple ID based on other info that has stayed the same such as street address, phone number, etc, you might have some luck that way.

Let me know, and I have one more idea as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yowza, I forgot your suggestion
I just tried it and got excited. . .I was told they would send that library to me so I can download the songs again without paying. When I confirmed that the lost songs are NOT on robina12@outlook account, I got the oh. . .couldn't find anything with those three other email addresses =( but they offered me a link: If you forgot your Apple ID or aren't sure that you have one. . . as you can guess, got the same results as always. In fact, you may have done that or sent to me. I'm so overwhelmed now, I don't know which end is up. . .
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

If possible, I would write them back and explain that you don't know what other email address you might have used but see if they could search by any other details, such as billing address. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot, I think.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are so very kind. . .but I did throw that possibility out. Address? Phone? They said nothing. They didn't say no. . .they just didn't say yes. I have racked my brain trying to think of another email address. Memory has never been my strong suit. What makes my head hurt is that Apple wrote the download to my computer to upload. Isn't that stealing. . .if not morally bankrupt??????? I will miss terribly seeing your name pop-up in my in box. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. . .
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not clear what you mean by "Apple wrote the download to my computer to upload. Isn't that stealing"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, don't take me too seriously. . .you're dealing with a big baby that's crying over this. . .again. I hate it when I let stupid things like this hurt my feelings! But what I did mean was, I researched for over an hour on how to download the music off my iPod onto this laptop. I did everything the article said, but it reversed on me. Early the next morning I took this laptop and my iPod to an Apple store. They are the ones that said Apple started doing 'that' because with today's technology, they didn't anyone using 'their' music for profit. I told them I didn't even get a, are you sure you want to delete these 100+ songs? Nope just off they went. I actually had those goofy songs in my hands after losing them for so many years. I thought I had won the lottery!!!!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

No, I would be quite upset to lose so much music, too.

Digital music just really must be handled differently than "hard copy" music you might buy on a CD, etc... Technically, even in your case, iTunes is *supposed* to warn you but Apple realizes things happen which is why they let you re-download the songs - but when your ID is lost such as in this case it makes it very difficult.

I have a huge music library and keep a back up because I wouldn't even know where to begin if i lost it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Friday. iPad starting to 'Apple/black screen' again. . .and refusing to stay when I click on some apps. they open, but then pop back to desktop