Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Power mac g5 kernal panic, Thanks help,

Customer Question

Power mac g5 kernal panic
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thanks for your help
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I no longer have startup disks, will this be an issue?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Yes no startup disk is a big issue can you clarify? Kernel panics normally mean a hardware error. Is that an iMac G5? What year was it made?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is named the powermac g5 made in 2005. I can't find any of the original disks for it. Can I go about another way to get out of this kernal panic?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is the one
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Do you have more than one drive inside it or any other peripherals beside the keyboard and mouse connected?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe its just one drive besides the mouse and keyboard
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

OK Restart your Mac. If it is frozen hold the power button for 10 seconds to shut down then start it up again. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

If you still get panic do this:

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
After trying both, I'm still getting this screen
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Try it this way:

While booting your Mac, hold down the keys Command + Option + O + F. This will boot the computer into Open Firmware.

At the Open Firmware 0 > prompt, type each of these lines followed by the return key:

reset-nvram
reset-all
Your computer will restart with NVRAM reset.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I successfully did as you instructed and I was brought back to the same screen
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Ok shut down unplug the computer from power and remove the hard drive from the machine. Start it up and tell me what happens

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

You can just unplug the two cables from it you don't have to actually remove it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I get this screen after unplugging the hard drive
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

OK in that case your hard drive has failed you need to replace it and reinstall your system or your backup if you have one. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Did you understand that? The kernel panic is gone which means the faulty hard drive was causing it and with it unplugged your computer is working normally but telling you there is no boot drive installed? That is your answer. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!