Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My customer # is 1000944860. My serial # is XU4140280111.

Customer Question

My customer # *****(###) ###-#### ***** serial # ***** *****
Far as I can tell I have the now ancient 8x FULL SINGLE AMERICAS.NA.APL.
It has worked fine for years. I had to install Xcaliber this week for the sake of my security system upgrade & now I'm unable to open my Quark doc. I get this msg:"This version of XPress Preference is incompatible with this version of QuarkXpress."
Is there any hope? What next? My iMac is what one calls "vintage." late '90s, I believe.
Mary Mergenthal
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 7 months ago.

Hello there! This error is usually an issue with the software configuration. More then likely xcaliber change the way the application accesses files but no worries we can fix it either by following the steps below or having me securely connect to you and perform the steps outlined below. Your choice of course :)

1. If the application crashes, Force Quit out of QuarkXPress.

2. On the Finder level, go to the Hard Drive > Applications > QuarkXPress folder.

3. Inside the QuarkXPress folder, create a new folder by going to File > New Folder

4. Label the new folder Preferences (use an upper case P - It is important that “Preferences” be spelled correctly).

5. Launch QuarkXPress from the QuarkXPress folder.